It is generally accepted that by the time journalists publish a “hot news” cover story, its novelty has already touched the skies in the real world.
A good example? Freelancing.
According to Statista, the number of freelancers in the United States was 57.3 million in 2017, which rose to a whopping 70.4 million in 2022 and is forecasted to reach 90.1 million in 2028 in America alone.
So, there is no denying that the demand for freelance professionals is on the rise. Companies are turning to freelancers to fill skill gaps, manage seasonal workloads, and bring fresh perspectives to their teams. As we move into 2023, there are several most in-demand freelance skills that businesses will be looking to fill. In this article, we will take a look at the top seven most in-demand freelance jobs to look out for in 2023
You may be wondering about the reason behind the current trend of professionals preferring freelancing over a traditional desk job. Before discussing the most sought-after best freelance jobs, let’s examine the reasons for this increase in demand for freelancing.
Why Is Freelancing Better Than A Desk Job?
Working under a boss, sitting at a desk from 9 to 5 is no longer the only way to earn a good income
. Remote work culture and the advanced degree of flexibility during/post covid-19 persuaded employees and employers both to question their previous career choices and motivated them to go for the self-employed side.
Alongside, freelancing offers many benefits that traditional desk jobs do not. Some of them include:
- Flexibility: Freelancers have the freedom to choose when and where they work, allowing them to create a work-life balance that suits their needs.
- Control over income: Freelancers have the ability to set their own rates and take on as many or as few clients as they wish, giving them more control over their income.
- Diversity: Freelancers have the opportunity to take on a variety of projects and clients, giving them the opportunity to learn new skills and gain diverse experiences.
- Autonomy: Freelancers are their own bosses and have the freedom to make their own decisions, allowing them to work in a way that best suits their strengths and preferences.
- No Corporate Politics: Freelancers don’t have to deal with office politics, and the stress that comes with it, as they have no colleagues to interact with on a daily basis.
- Job Security: Freelancers can choose to diversify their income streams by working with multiple clients, reducing their risk of job loss due to a single client’s decision.
- Tax benefits: Freelancers can take advantage of certain tax deductions that employees may not be able to claim.
Let’s examine the top 7 high-demand freelance careers and the reasons for choosing them.
Top 7 Most In-Demand Freelance Jobs To Look Out For In 2023
1. Digital Marketing
Marketing is a strong space for freelancers in the years to come. It is one of the most profitable niches within the freelance economy, with marketing specialists earning millions through it. As companies are now recognizing the significance of digital marketing, many businesses nowadays are outsourcing their digital marketing needs with outsourced talents managing nearly 22% of social media activities worldwide.
Check out how niche freelancing can help you double your freelance income.
With a lot of shopping happening online, businesses feel the pressure of competition more than ever. Savvy marketing will remain significant as this industry is a broad umbrella, and the good news for freelancers is that there are a lot of ways to upgrade their skill sets to fulfill business needs in 2023.
A few of the highly trendy skills in online marketing include branding, search engine optimization, data analytics, and web design. 2023 is a high time to specialize and master this skill if you are hoping to earn a name in the digital marketing freelance sector.
On an average, freelancers in digital marketing can earn anywhere from $20 to $150 per hour, with an average hourly rate of around $50 to $80. Some experienced digital marketing specialists may earn even more. It’s important to note that these estimates are just that and actual earnings can vary widely.
Check out how to become a digital nomad in 2023.
Why Should You Choose Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a growing field with a high demand for freelancers, and there are several reasons why you should choose it.
- Career growth opportunities: Digital marketing offers a wide range of career paths and growth opportunities, including Social media management, Search engine optimization (SEO), content marketing, Instagram marketing, Facebook marketing, Marketing consultants, Lead generation and more.
- High earning potential: Digital marketing professionals can earn a competitive salary, and many freelance marketers earn even higher rates for their expertise.
- Constantly evolving field: The digital marketing landscape is always evolving, providing a never-ending supply of new and exciting challenges for professionals to tackle.
Where Can You Learn The Digital Marketing Skills?
There are many online courses and certifications in digital marketing skills that you can consider taking. Some of the most popular include:
- Google Digital Garage: This is a free online course offered by Google that covers the fundamentals of digital marketing.
- Hubspot Academy: Hubspot offers a range of free online marketing courses, including a certification in inbound marketing.
- Coursera: Coursera partners with top universities and organizations to offer online courses in a variety of subjects, including digital marketing.
- Udemy: Udemy is a popular platform that offers thousands of courses on a wide range of subjects, including digital marketing.
- Facebook Blueprint: Facebook offers a range of free online courses and certifications in Facebook and Instagram advertising.
- Google Ads and Google Analytics certifications: These certifications show proficiency in using Google’s advertising and analytics tools and are widely recognized in the industry.
2. HR and Recruiting
As remote work has become the new norm in this age, the options for freelance human resources have increased tremendously. Companies are turning to outside HR professionals and recruiters or using HR automation software. The most beneficial aspect of having a freelance HR is that they can provide an outside perspective and the flexibility to work on a project on a temporary basis. They also assist organizations in finding talents to meet specific needs.
On an average, freelancers in HR and recruiting can earn anywhere from $30 to $150 per hour, with an average hourly rate of around $50 to $80.
Why Should You Choose HR and Recruiting?
There are several other reasons why you should choose a career in Human Resources (HR) and Recruiting:
- Variety of roles and industries: HR and recruiting jobs are available in a range of industries, from large corporations to small businesses, and there are many different roles within the field, such as talent acquisition, employee relations, and diversity and inclusion.
- Impact on the bottom line: HR and recruiting have a direct impact on a company’s bottom line, as they play a crucial role in attracting and retaining top talent, and promoting a positive company culture.
- Continuous learning: The field of HR and recruiting is constantly evolving, and professionals are required to stay up-to-date with new laws and regulations, as well as innovative recruitment strategies. This continuous learning keeps the job interesting and challenging.
Where Can You Learn The HR Skills?
There are many online courses and certifications in HR and recruiting. Some popular options include:
- XLCenter: XLCenter offers a range of certified HR and recruiting courses and programs, including the popular Certified HR Professional (CHRP) and Certified Recruitment Professional (CRP) certifications.
- Manipal ProLearn: Manipal ProLearn offers online certification programs in HR and recruitment, including the Post Graduate Program in Human Resource Management.
- Simplilearn: Simplilearn offers a range of online certification courses in HR and recruiting, including the Certified Human Resource Management Professional (CHRMP) course.
- UPES – School of Management: UPES School of Management offers an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Human Resource Management.
- HRCertification.in: HRCertification.in offers a range of online HR and recruitment courses and certifications, including the Certified HR Manager (CHRM) certification.
- There are also books that can help you learn these skills including “The Talent Acquisition Handbook” by Jorgen Sundberg and “The HR Handbook” by Brian D. Skiba.
3. Accounting and Book-Keeping
Financial challenges across various industries demand a need for good accountants. As per the FlexJobs report on the freelance economy, the accounting will be the top most in demand freelance job in 2023. Moreover, with approximately 6% growth over the next decade, this field is not just limited to certified public accountants but offers a wide range of options to professionals with skills in bookkeeping, finance, tax filing, banking, and auditing.
Check out how to manage your finances as freelancer.
Many renowned companies are actively hiring freelance accountants and the best part of this field is that businesses belonging to every sector, from giant names to SMEs require the services of qualified financial professionals.
On an average, freelancers in accounting and bookkeeping can earn anywhere from $20 to $150 per hour, with an average hourly rate of around $30 to $60. Some experienced accounting and bookkeeping specialists may earn even more. It’s important to note that these estimates are just that, and actual earnings can vary widely.
Why Should You Choose Accounting and Book-Keeping?
One may consider a career in accounting and bookkeeping due to various reasons, including:
- Job stability: Accounting and bookkeeping are in-demand fields that are relatively resistant to economic downturns and automation. This means that jobs in these fields tend to be stable and secure.
- Career advancement: A solid foundation in accounting and bookkeeping can serve as a stepping stone to more advanced finance and accounting positions, such as a financial analyst or certified public accountant.
- Essential skills: Accounting and bookkeeping are essential skills for any business or organization. The ability to accurately manage financial records and ensure that financial reporting is accurate and compliant with relevant laws and regulations is in high demand.
- Versatility: Accounting and bookkeeping skills are valuable in a wide range of industries and fields, from small businesses to multinational corporations.
- Earning potential: While starting salaries in accounting and bookkeeping can be modest, there is potential for substantial earnings growth as you gain experience and take on more responsibility.
Where Can You Learn The Accounting and Book-Speaking Skills?
Aside from the traditional options such as online courses, degree programs, bootcamps, workshops, and events, the following are alternative places to learn accounting and book-keeping skills:
- Professional organizations: Organizations such as National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM) and Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF) offer training programs and certifications in accounting and bookkeeping.
- Books: Many books provide an in-depth look at the principles and practices of accounting and bookkeeping, including “Bookkeeping for Dummies” by John A. Tracy and “QuickBooks Pro 2021 for Dummies” by Stephen L. Nelson.
There are many online courses and certifications in accounting and bookkeeping available in India. Some popular options include:
- Tally Academy: Tally Academy offers courses and certifications in Tally, a widely used accounting software in India.
- QuickBooks: QuickBooks offers a range of online courses and certifications in their accounting software.
- Simplilearn: Simplilearn offers a range of online courses and certifications in accounting and bookkeeping, including the Certified Accounting Professional (CAP) course.
- ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants): ACCA offers a range of online courses and certifications in accounting and finance, including the ACCA Qualification.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI): ICAI is the national professional accounting body in India and offers a range of online courses and certifications, including the Chartered Accountancy (CA) program.
Check out how to handle taxes in India as a freelancer.
4. Data Science and Machine Learning
Data science and machine learning are at the forefront of technology and are becoming increasingly important for businesses of all sizes. With the increasing amount of data being generated and the growing need for insights, there will be a high demand for professionals who can analyze and interpret data using machine learning techniques. Freelance data scientists and machine learning engineers can help companies make sense of their data, find patterns and trends, and make data-driven decisions.
The hourly rate of freelancers in Data Science and Machine Learning varies widely based on several factors such as location, level of experience, and specific skillset.
As a rough estimate, the average hourly rate of a freelance data scientist in the US is around $50 to $150, with some highly experienced individuals charging upwards of $200 per hour. However, rates can be lower or higher depending on the market, location and the individual’s skillset.
Why Should You Choose Data Science and Machine Learning?
There are several reasons why one may choose a career in Data Science and Machine Learning:
- High earning potential: Data scientists and machine learning professionals are among the highest-paid tech professionals, with salaries often exceeding the average for other tech roles.
- Exciting and challenging work: Data science and machine learning require creativity, problem-solving skills, and technical ability, making it a challenging and exciting field to work in.
- Impactful work: Data science and machine learning have the potential to drive important decisions and innovations across industries, making it a field with significant real-world impact.
- Fast-paced and constantly evolving field: The field of data science and machine learning is constantly evolving and growing, providing opportunities for continuous learning and growth for professionals.
Where Can You Learn The Data Science Skills?
Here are some popular courses and certifications to learn Data Science and Machine Learning in India:
- Applied AI Course by Great Learning: A comprehensive program that covers topics in Data Science, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning.
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate: A beginner-friendly program offered by Coursera that covers the basics of Data Science and Machine Learning.
- Microsoft Professional Program in Data Science: A certification program offered by edX that covers Data Science, Machine Learning, and other related technologies.
- Postgraduate Program in Data Science and Machine Learning by upGrad: A comprehensive program in collaboration with IIIT-B that covers Data Science, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning.
- Certified Artificial Intelligence Professional by AI Global Talent: A certification program that covers the fundamental concepts of AI and Machine Learning, including Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing.
It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and programming to be successful in data science and machine learning, which can be developed through self-study and online resources.
5. Cloud Computing and Cybersecurity
Cloud computing and cybersecurity are critical for businesses in today’s digital age. With more companies moving their operations and data to the cloud, there will be a greater need for professionals who can help companies secure their data and protect against cyber threats. Freelance cloud engineers and cybersecurity experts can help companies design, implement, and maintain secure cloud infrastructure, as well as protect against cyber attacks.
The hourly rate of freelancers in Cloud Computing and Cybersecurity varies widely based on several factors such as location, level of experience, and specific skillset.
As a rough estimate, the average hourly rate of a freelance cloud computing professional is around $50 to $150, with some highly experienced individuals charging upwards of $200 per hour.
Why Should You Choose Cloud Computing and Cybersecurity?
There are several reasons why one may choose a career in cloud computing and cybersecurity:
- High earning potential: Cloud computing and cybersecurity professionals are in high demand, and often command salaries above the average for other tech roles.
- Exciting and challenging work: Cloud computing and cybersecurity require a combination of technical expertise, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail, making it a challenging and rewarding field to work in.
- Impactful work: Cloud computing and cybersecurity play a critical role in enabling organizations to operate effectively and securely in a digital world, making it a field with significant real-world impact.
- Fast-paced and constantly evolving field: The field of cloud computing and cybersecurity is constantly evolving, with new technologies and threats emerging, providing opportunities for continuous learning and growth for professionals.
- Career stability: The demand for cloud computing and cybersecurity professionals is expected to remain strong for the foreseeable future, providing career stability for those in the field.
Where Can You Learn The Cybersecurity Skills?
Here are some popular courses and certifications to learn Cloud Computing and Cybersecurity in India:
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate: An entry-level certification offered by Amazon Web Services (AWS) that covers the basics of cloud computing and architecture.
- Microsoft Azure Fundamentals: A beginner-friendly course offered by Microsoft that covers the fundamentals of cloud computing and the Azure platform.
- Google Cloud Professional Cloud Architect: A certification program offered by Google Cloud that covers cloud computing architecture, design, and operations.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) v10: A certification program offered by the International Council of E-Commerce Consultants (EC-Council) that covers the fundamentals of ethical hacking and cybersecurity.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP): A certification program offered by (ISC)² that covers the essential principles of cybersecurity and is widely recognized as a benchmark for the industry.
6. Web Development
Web development is a critical skill for businesses looking to establish an online presence and engage with their customers. Freelance web developers can help companies create and maintain websites that are fast, responsive, and easy to use. As businesses continue to shift their operations online, the demand for web development skills will continue to grow.
As a rough estimate, the average hourly rate of a freelance web developer is around $50 to $150, with some highly experienced individuals charging upwards of $200 per hour. However, rates can be lower or higher depending on the market and the individual’s skillset.
Why Should You Choose Web Development?
There are several reasons why one may choose a career in web development:
- High earning potential: Web developers are in high demand and often command salaries above the average for other tech roles.
- Opportunities for creativity and problem-solving: Web development requires both technical expertise and creativity, making it a challenging and rewarding field to work in.
- Possibility of entrepreneurship: Web development skills can be leveraged to start a successful technology business, providing opportunities for entrepreneurship and independence.
Where Can You Learn The Web development Skills?
Here are some popular courses and certifications to learn web development skills:
- Complete Web Development Bootcamp (Udemy)
- The Web Developer Bootcamp (Udemy)
- The Complete Web Development Course (Udemy)
- Web Development Fundamentals (Coursera)
- Web Development for Everybody (Coursera)
- Certified Web Developer (CIW)
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 11 Developer
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- Zend Certified PHP Engineer
7. Virtual Assistance
Virtual assistance is becoming increasingly popular as more businesses look to outsource administrative tasks. Freelance virtual assistants can help companies with tasks such as scheduling, email management, and data entry. As businesses continue to look for ways to streamline their operations and focus on their core competencies, the demand for virtual assistance will continue to grow.
The hourly rate of freelancers in virtual assistance varies widely based on several factors such as location, level of experience, and specific skillset.
As a rough estimate, the average hourly rate of a freelance virtual assistant is around $20 to $50, with some highly experienced individuals charging upwards of $75 per hour.
Why Should You Choose Virtual Assistance?
Here are some reasons why one may choose a career in virtual assistance:
- Diverse opportunities: Virtual assistance can encompass a wide range of tasks, from administrative tasks to customer support, marketing, and more, providing opportunities for individuals to develop diverse skill sets.
- Potential for self-employment: Virtual assistance skills can be leveraged to start a successful business, providing opportunities for entrepreneurship and independence.
- Room for growth: As virtual assistants gain experience and develop a strong reputation, they may have opportunities to take on higher-level responsibilities, leading to career growth.
- Work-life balance: The flexible nature of virtual assistance jobs can provide a better work-life balance, as individuals can set their own schedules and balance work with other commitments.
Where Can You Learn The Virtual Assistance Skills?
Here are some popular courses and certifications to learn virtual assistance skills:
- Virtual Assistant Training (Udemy)
- Virtual Assistant Bootcamp (Udemy)
- The Ultimate Virtual Assistant Course (Udemy)
- Virtual Assistant Mastery (Coursera)
- Virtual Assistance Fundamentals (edX)
- Certified Virtual Assistant (CVA)
- International Virtual Assistant Association (IVAA)
- Virtual Assistant Networking Association (VANA)
- Virtual Professional (IVAA)
As businesses continue to adapt to the changing business landscape, the demand for freelance skills will continue to grow.
The seven most in-demand freelance jobs outlined in this article are just the tip of the iceberg, and there are many other best freelance jobs available for those with the right most in demand freelance skills and experience.
Whether you are a seasoned professional or just starting out, now is the time to consider a freelance career. With the right freelance skills and a bit of persistence, you can turn your passions and talents into a fulfilling.