Not certain on how to locate the appropriate Shopify developer for your project? This guide will provide you with the necessary information.
In recent years, every company selling tangible goods is expected to also operate an online store as part of their overall growth strategy and to have a strong digital presence. But, starting an e-commerce business involves various concerns, including finding the right product-market fit, sourcing products, managing inventory, and developing a marketing plan.
If you lack development experience, it’s advisable to leave the development aspect to a professional. By hiring a developer, you can allocate more time towards growing other areas of your business. Let’s look at some more benefits of hiring a shopify expert.
Benefits Of Hiring A Shopify Expert Developer
Starting a business has many innate challenges. If you’re not a developer yourself, putting together a website can be quite challenging. We suggest hiring a developer who knows their work around things. Even if you are unsure, they can help come with the right solution for your business. Other than that, some of the other benefits of hiring a shopify developer are:
- Customized solutions
With a Shopify expert, you can have custom solutions tailored specifically to your e-commerce business needs.
- Improved performance
A Shopify expert can optimize your online store for improved performance, leading to a better user experience and increased sales.
- Future support
A Shopify developer can provide ongoing support and maintenance for your online store, ensuring it stays up-to-date and functioning smoothly.
Skills To Look For In A Shopify Expert
Shopify experts concentrate solely on web development for Shopify websites – giving them a distinctive advantage over developers who do not specialize in Shopify projects.
They have a thorough understanding of the Shopify platform, including payment gateways, navigation, inventory management, and checkout processes. These are the additional skills to look out for when hiring a shopify expert:
- Customization skills
The developer should have a good understanding of the API, how to make API calls, and how to retrieve and manipulate data.
Also Read: Every freelancer must have these skills
- E-commerce knowledge
A good understanding of e-commerce concepts, including payment gateways, shipping, taxes, and product management, is important.
Taking a call on inventory and product management is a crucial skill to look out for in a shopify developer including adding, editing, and deleting products, as well as managing product variants and collections.
- Technical SEO knowledge
Search engine optimization (SEO) is important for the success of your online store. Look for a developer who has a solid understanding of technical, Shopify SEO and can optimize your online store for search engines.
How To Find The Right Shopify Developer For Your Project?
Let’s examine the necessary steps for obtaining the right professional for your project.
- Outline Your Expectation From The Outcome
This includes the overall look and feel of your store, essential functions and features, and any existing issues that need to be addressed. Providing examples of other online stores with elements you’d like to include can also be useful for your developer. Organize these ideas and preferences in a written document to facilitate productive conversations during the interview process.
- Research Is The Key
Research and compare several Shopify experts and their portfolios to determine their areas of expertise and level of experience. Don’t settle for the first one you come across. If there is a style of work that aligns with your project, don’t hesitate to dig deeper into their portfolio.
Seek recommendations from industry peers, peruse the Shopify forums, and gather opinions, testimonials, and reviews from Quora and Reddit.
- Build A Rapport With Your Chosen Developer
Congratulations, you have identified the ideal developer for your e-commerce store.
It’s now time to have a deeper discussion about the project through a video call/in-person meeting. Review the entire project from beginning to end with the developer, highlighting any challenges and seeking their input. Establish clear milestones to simplify the project management and ensure progress. This view you will also be able to access their communication skills.
Brownie points for the developer who is responsive, transparent, and proactive in their communication.
Questions To Ask A Shopify Developer Before Hiring
When considering a Shopify developer, it’s important to ask the right questions to ensure a successful project outcome. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can you provide examples of Shopify projects you have worked on in the past?
The past projects provide insight into the developer’s design style, technical skills, and problem-solving abilities. It also helps you to evaluate the quality of freelancer work, including their attention to detail and ability to deliver a polished and professional final product.
- Can you explain your process for developing and launching an online store on Shopify?
This is one very important question to ask. It helps you in setting realistic expectations. Knowing the steps involved in creating a Shopify store will help you understand how long it will take to launch and the resources required.
- How do you handle revisions and changes during the development process?
It is important to know how a Shopify developer handles revisions and changes during the development process because this information can affect the timeline, cost, and overall outcome of the project. Understanding the revision and change process can also help ensure that both parties are on the same page and that expectations are aligned, reducing the risk of misunderstandings and delays. Additionally, knowing the process for making revisions and changes can help ensure that the final result accurately reflects the desired outcome.
Tips For Working With A Shopify Expert
Here are some tips for working effectively with a Shopify developer:
- Clearly define project goals and expectations: Clearly communicate your project goals and expectations from the beginning to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Keep an open line of communication: Maintain open and clear communication with your developer throughout the project to ensure that any questions or concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Provide timely feedback: Review the developer’s work regularly and provide constructive and timely feedback to keep the project on track.
- Respect the developer’s expertise: Trust your developer’s expertise and experience, and allow them to make recommendations and provide solutions that align with your goals.
Cost Of Hiring A Freelance Shopify Developer
The cost of hiring a freelance Shopify developer can vary depending on several factors such as their level of experience, the complexity of the project, and the amount of time required. On average, a Shopify developer can cost anywhere from $50 to $200 per hour.
For smaller projects, such as simple theme customization or plugin integration, the cost may be on the lower end of the scale. However, for more complex projects, such as custom app development or creating a completely custom online store, the cost can be higher.
It’s important to keep in mind that while a lower rate may seem attractive, it may also indicate lower quality work or a lack of experience. It’s always a good idea to balance cost with quality and experience when choosing a Shopify developer.
It’s also a good idea to get quotes from multiple developers and compare their experience, portfolios, and rates before making a decision. This will help you find the right developer for your project that fits within your budget and meets your requirements.
Difference Between Hiring A Shopify Agency Vs A Freelancer Shopify Expert
There are some key differences between hiring an agency and a freelance Shopify developer:
- Cost: Hiring an agency can be more expensive than hiring a freelancer, as agencies often charge higher rates due to their overhead costs and multiple team members. Freelancers typically have lower overhead costs and can offer their services at a lower rate.
- Resources: An agency has access to a larger team of developers, designers, and other specialists, which means they can handle complex projects and have more resources at their disposal. Freelancers typically work alone and may have limited resources.
- Experience: Agencies often have a wealth of experience and have worked with multiple clients, whereas freelancers may have a more limited portfolio and may only have experience with one or two clients.
- Turnaround time: Agencies may have a larger workload and may take longer to complete projects, whereas freelancers may be able to work more efficiently and have a quicker turnaround time.
- Communication: Agencies have established communication protocols and may have dedicated project managers, whereas freelancers may be more hands-on and may have more direct communication with clients.
When deciding between an agency and a freelancer, it’s important to consider your specific project requirements and priorities, such as budget, timeline, experience, and level of communication.
For smaller projects, hiring a freelancer may be a more cost-effective and efficient option, whereas for larger and more complex projects, hiring an agency may be a better choice.
Also Read: Essential soft skills for freelancers
Risks And Challenges Of Hiring A Shopify Developer
- Miscommunication: If you don’t clearly communicate your requirements and expectations, there is a risk of miscommunication and misunderstandings. This can result in delays, additional costs, and a final product that doesn’t meet your needs.
- Quality of work: There is a risk that the developer may not have the necessary skills or experience to deliver the quality of work you require. This can result in a subpar final product that needs to be redone, which can add to the cost and timeline of the project.
- Delays: Delays can occur for a variety of reasons, such as miscommunication, lack of resources, or unexpected technical difficulties. This can result in a longer timeline for the project and may cause frustration for both parties.
- Cost overruns: The cost of a project can easily spiral out of control if there are miscommunications, changes in scope, or unexpected issues. This can result in a final cost that is higher than the original estimate, which can be a significant financial risk.
- Data security: When working with a Shopify developer, there is a risk of data security breaches. This is particularly concerning if the developer has access to sensitive information, such as customer data or payment information.
Case Studies Of Successful Shopify Development Projects
Yes, there are many real-life case studies of successful Shopify development projects in India as well. Some of the most notable ones include:
Chumbak – Chumbak is an online retailer of fashion and lifestyle products in India that uses Shopify to sell its products online. The site features a colorful, playful design and includes features like personalized product recommendations and product filtering.
The Chennai Silks – The Chennai Silks is one of the largest silk saree retailers in India and uses Shopify to sell its products online. The site features a clean, elegant design and includes features like product filtering, product comparison, and easy checkout.
Blinkit – Grofers is an online grocery delivery service in India that uses Shopify to power its e-commerce site. The site features a clean, simple design and includes features like order tracking and easy checkout.
These are just a few examples of successful Shopify development projects in India. By studying these case studies, you can gain insights into how these businesses approached their Shopify development projects and what made them successful.
This post highlights the essential qualities that a Shopify expert should possess. Consider hiring Shopify developers from Refrens, where you can find experts with the necessary skills, reasonable pricing, and successful outcomes.
Explore more: BigCommerce vs. Shopify vs. SquareUp – Making the Right Choice
Looking to become a UX designer and start your career off on the right foot? Our blog has got you covered with all the information you need to get started!